Monday, March 7, 2011

The Giver





In class at the moment I am reading the Giver by Lois Lowry I am really enjoying it and would recommend it to others. In class we have been asked to answer the following question: Would you want your future to be decided by others ? Why or Why not?
Here is my answer:
I think you should have the freedom to decide your own future and others shouldn't decided for you. In the giver Jonas and the people of his community have to follow strict rules and rituals. The Chief Elder decides what job you should be assigned and you have no other choice. I don't think this is right and that you should be allowed to choose you own job or at least get a chance at trying out for it.

The reason I think you should get to decide your own future is because it is part of growing up, you learn from your mistakes. I also think other people should not be deciding your future other wise when you are young you can't have the fun of deciding what you want to be when your older. I have a plan already and so do my siblings. I think this is all a big part of growing up. I mean what would you choose, for other people to boss you about or for you to be free and be able to choose for yourself? I think it is quite obvious what we would all choose to be free and ourselves.

Another reason is that if someone turned round and said oh your going to be a vet I would not be happy. I hate anything gruesome inside an animal. I love animals but couldn't cope as a vet. As I keep saying no one is going to choose what I want to be when I am older.I want to make my own decisions in life and be who I wan't to be and not who anyone else wants me to be. I am happy with who I am and wouldn't change anything. I think everyone should learn to be who they wan to be in life and I think it is a valuable lesson.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting blogpost, and I agree with you! You have stated that you think our futures should be decided by ourselves, and also gave some evidence. I think that one bit about learning from your mistakes is really interesting, and that it's part of life. Just one of those things that catch your attention because it's so true! You also included yourself in the blogpost, explaining how you would feel in a situation like Jonas'. This is important in knowing that you understand the story, and I really enjoyed reading your blogpost! Great job!

    Hime

    ReplyDelete