Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Poems. Whats worth fighting for?

My new white puma socks.
My most comfy worn in levis plimsolls - more yellow than white.
A pair of my old navy blue school shorts from Grade 7.
My new ISKL blue school shirt I bought for the new school year.
A pair of red or dead glasses covering my yellow, blue and green coloured eyes.
My ears pierced but naked!
There is a sweaty mess of hair tied in a ponytail.
A friendship bracelet on my right wrist.
Followed by a pandora themed bracelet.
On my left wrist a turquoise ice watch is sitting.
A tiny horseshoe hanging from my neck full of luck.
Some chipped poppy red nail polish on my fingernails.
Me.





I’m from the indoor play parks.
and the warm public swimming pools,
I am from the ski slope beside Asda.
From making beds out of leaves,
I’m from the great deep snow on christmas day.

From my mums song she made up for brushing teeth.
The lovely winter outfit my Nanny gave me.
The theme tune of the tweenies and the teletubbies.
From the cold classrooms,
and the old drafty house.

My mum calling me sweetheart and honey.
I’m what my friends called me,
A plonker!
I’m the  laugh when my Dad calls my sister squirrel nutkin!
I’m the curiosity when my Mum calls my Dad ‘Victor Meldrew’!

I’m from the freezing lakes I’ve jumped into.
I’m from camping with friends.
I’m from the beaches of Corfu,
from the mud pie making competitions with my cousins.

I’m an Aberdonian abroad!
From the old pictures of relatives.
I’m from the memory box under my bed.
I come from my adoring ancestors of generations.
I’m the new in the old.

Is a persons identity worth fighting for? Why or why not?

A persons identity with no doubt is worth fighting for. Without your identity you are nobody. Your identity shapes who you are on both the inside and the outside. Sometimes we are forced into having identities we dont want. For example many woman  in certain religions are forced to covering up fully some only showing their eyes. They have to cover up there identities and cannot show there facial expressions or how they dress. These are two things that shape our identity.



1 comment:

  1. Terrific details here, Olivia! They provide a clear picture of who you are!

    ReplyDelete